CUNY START Writing Assistant (Multiple Positions)
Functional Title – Writing Assistant College Title – College Assistant
CUNY Start is an intensive program for incoming college students who have earned either a high school or high school equivalency diploma and need to increase their academic proficiency in reading, writing, and mathematics prior to enrollment in college credit classes. The CUNY Office of Academic Affairs, the University’s community colleges, the College of Staten Island, and Medgar Evers College work collaboratively to provide students with an innovative approach to developmental education.
CUNY Start is recognized for its carefully designed curriculum and pedagogy, ongoing professional development, and mentor-based training model. Additional information about the CUNY Start program can be found at www.cuny.edu/cunystart.
CUNY Start offers daytime and afternoon/evening programs on nine CUNY campuses: Borough of Manhattan Community College (Manhattan), Bronx Community College (Bronx), College of Staten Island (Staten Island), Guttman Community College (Manhattan), Hostos Community College (Bronx), Kingsborough Community College (Brooklyn), LaGuardia Community College (Queens), Medgar Evers College (Brooklyn) and Queensborough Community College (Queens).
CUNY Start is seeking to fill the position of Writing Assistant. The Writing Assistant will work as a member of the Reading/Writing team, supporting the work of the Core teacher in a CUNY Start classroom this Fall.
- Experience responding to academic writing and working with non-traditional college students
- Master’s Degree preferred
- Salary $21.34 per hour for approximately 20 hours a week
- Health benefits after 3 months of successful employment
- To apply, submit the following items to Flor Araujo at email@example.com
- A cover letter and resume
- A copy of a reading/writing lesson plan that reveals some element of your teaching and learning values
- A list of all CUNY Start campuses where you are willing to work, indicating your top 3 choices for campus placement. Also note whether you prefer a day or afternoon/evening program and your willingness to work in either program.
- Please note that we cannot guarantee an applicant’s requested campus or schedule as a placement, but we will try to accommodate an applicant’s request whenever possible
Job Responsibilities: The CUNY Start Writing Assistant will . . .
- Read the CUNY Start Reading/Writing Curriculum closely, and become familiar with CUNY Start learning procedures, assignments, and goals
- Attend portions of the CUNY Start Reading/Writing class, and support the CUNY Start Core teacher as appropriate
- Respond in writing to student papers and essays
- Tutor CUNY Start students individually and in small groups
- Participate in CUNY Start team meetings about students’ progress
- Participate in training activities led by the CUNY Start Professional Development Coordinators for Reading and Writing
- Perform duties assigned by the Core teacher, including taking attendance, keeping track of student assignments, and setting up the classroom.
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer