St. John’s University students are welcome and encouraged to participate in the following career opportunity, as advertised by HarperCollins Publishing House. Please see the following excerpt for more information:
HarperCollins Publishers, one of the largest global consumer book publishers, is looking for professionals who are passionate about books! We are excited to announce our first ever “New to Publishing Open House,” an event that will give you the opportunity to visit the headquarters of HarperCollins in NYC, meet with current employees, network, and get tips on your resume, cover letter and the interview process. If you have been trying to get your foot in the door to publishing with no luck – this could be your chance!
Date/Time: Tuesday, January 9 from 4-6pm
Location: 195 Broadway, New York, NY
Applicants should not have interviewed for any previous positions at HarperCollins and must meet the following additional criteria:
- MUST be available to start working in a full-time role in New York City in 2018. That means if you are graduating from undergrad or grad school in 2018 (spring OR fall semester) you may apply.
- Graduates (and those without a degree but with applicable work experience) may also apply as long as you are interested in entry level roles.
- MUST have administrative/office experience. It can be an internship, desk job, campus job – as long as you are proficient with the Microsoft Office Suite and know basic office etiquette.
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S. and be of legal working age.
How to apply:
No resume is required! Instead, please answer the following questions in a short, one-page essay:
- Why do you want to work in book publishing?
- What book has made the biggest impact on you and why?
- What are the last five books you’ve read? (This can be a list or in paragraph format).
Do NOT include your name in the essay.
Please submit your one-page essay answering the questions outlined above where you are prompted to upload your resume.
Remember, you should not submit your resume for this application!
The application deadline is November 30. Submissions will be reviewed by a panel of HarperCollins employees, and a select number of applicants will be invited to attend our “New to Publishing Open House.” Candidates being considered for the open house will be contacted in December.
*Please note there will be no reimbursement for travel/accommodations.
Best of luck!