Teachers & Writers Collaborative Internships
Teachers & Writers Collaborative (T&W) is accepting applications from candidates for internships during winter-spring 2013.
T&W seeks to educate the imagination by offering innovative creative writing programs for students and teachers, and by providing a variety of publications and resources to support learning through the literary arts. Since 1967, T&W has worked with more than 760,000 students and more than 26,000 teachers in New York City and surrounding areas; published Teachers & Writers Magazine, a quarterly publication that has received 10 awards for excellence from the Association of Educational Publishers; and published more than 80 books about the teaching of creative writing.
Interns work at T&W during regular business hours (9 to 5, Monday through Friday) and are asked to establish a regular work schedule of at least four hours a day, two days per week. Interns receive stipends ranging from $100 to $150 per month to assist with transportation and lunch expenses.
Individuals interested in interning with T&W should send a cover letter and résumé to: email@example.com or to T&W Internships, Teachers & Writers Collaborative, 520 Eighth Ave., Ste. 2020, New York, NY 10018 by Friday, January 25. Applications will not be accepted via fax. Applicants should indicate the days of the week and hours they anticipate being available to work at T&W.
T&W interns are assigned responsibilities based on the organization’s needs and the intern’s availability to work in the T&W office. In 2013, T&W interns will be asked to work on assignments such as the following:
• Proofread anthologies of work written by students in T&W’s creative writing programs and visit classes led by T&W teaching artists to complete observation forms and take photos for T&W publications.
• Assist with preparation of special anthologies, including city-wide anthology of poetry written in public library programs.
• Review and prepare material for inclusion in the Digital Resource Center on the T&W website, including researching digital rights issues and contacting publishers on behalf of T&W.
• Support publication of Teachers & Writers Magazine by proofreading copy, fact checking, reviewing submissions, helping with research, etc. There may also be opportunities to write articles for the magazine.
• Assist with T&W blog and social media formatting and content.
• Participate in outreach to schools and community organizations to market T&W’s creative writing programs.
• Research funding opportunities and assist in developing grant proposals.
• Assist in selecting 2013 Bechtel Prize Award winner by reviewing and rating submitted essays on teaching creative writing.
• Help with administrative tasks in office, such as organizing T&W’s resource library, answering phones, and greeting visitors.